Capture the Argo
|Environment||Lunar (-35% heat sink efficiency)|
Capture the Argo is a storyline mission in Battletech.
A self-appointed bandit queen has taken possession of the Argo, a derelict DropShip and relic of the Star League era. We believe that it belongs in more suitable hands, namely, ours. You will drop on Axylus, shut down the pirates' antiaircraft capabilities, and hold out while our engineers bring the Argo back to life.
- Welcome to the moon. The environment is hostile and your heat sink capacity will take a -35% hit. The pirates start in a dormant mode, but as soon as you come into range, the pirate queen (Grim Sybil, formerly of Tortuga) will start waking them up and send a stream of vehicles your way on top of the two light laser turrets securing the perimeter.
- Your immediate concern are the radar towers that control the AA guns in the base. The alpha tower is exposed, but bravo requires a little bit of maneuvering, jump jets, or a generous dose of LRMs. The same goes for the turret generators, which need to be taken out unless you like fighting under a constant rain of enemy LRMs.
- Your first wave of pirate vehicles consists of a Bulldog, two Strikers, two Scorpions. After wiping them out, you can take down the radar towers at your leisure and proceed to the wreck of the Argo. Once you do, the Leopard will swoop in and deposit Magistracy engineers and marines under the command of Dr Farah Murad, who will clear the ship of pirates and take it into space (hopefully).
- Once you secure the ship, the enemy will counterattack with seven units - all of which need to go. The wave consists of a Commando COM-2D, a Jenner JR7-D, a Locust LCT-1S, and two vehicles: A Scorpion and a Galleon. All of their forces are in a state of advanced disrepair, with the Commando perhaps the best maintained mech.
- Once you wipe out half the enemy reinforcements, Murad will give a status report: The fighting has intensified and she lost half her engineers, but she will press on. Once the enemy pirates are down, Grim Sybil will make an appearance in a Quickdraw QKD-4G (four medium lasers, an LRM10, and an SRM4) with her wingman in a Shadow Hawk SHD-2D (loaded with an AC/5, an LRM5, SRM2, and a medium laser). Since both are damaged, you can focus fire on her Quickdraw (center torso with low Tactics) and wipe her out in the first turn of her appearance.
- Once she's junked, board the derelict. After taking salvage and C-Bills, you will be treated to a cutscene and meet the heiress again.
- Once this mission is complete, you will also receive a potential total of 24 salvage, a free Centurion CN9-A (without armor or equipment) and access to more star systems (all except for the major powers', to avoid making it seem like you're cutting and running).